Welcome to my Blog about analysing the graduate job market in Leeds

I am a recent Philosophy Graduate discovering and analysing the current job market for Graduates in Leeds. My aim is to discover find the perfect method of attaining a Graduate job.

Monday 2 August 2010

The rain has held off...for now.

Optimism comes in waves and I've found my perfect wave...

From browsing on LinkedIn, chatting to friends and looking at recruitment applications, I could see there was a big gap on my CV - something which has so far (according to the feedback I have received from previous interviews) held me back. Lack of experience. So, to fill the gap I have applied for some voluntary roles. Whether or not they are relevant is a different story, but considering I'm out of work and not using my skills I should keep busy. Those roles have been: PDSA sales assistant (good for retail I heard), Asthma UK to be an e-campaigner(good with writing and social media), magistrate(maybe not as I have to commit for 12months), a tour guide at St.John's Church and some roles at the Princes Trust. I have decided to go forward with the AsthmaUK and tour guide as I think they would keep me busy and I would gain some skills on the way (communication, leadership, networking, customer service).

In my last post I explained that networking on twitter had allowed me to know about a post going at a local food shop. I handed in my application and like I said it's now all in the waiting. But, what is exciting is that I was approached by @twitjobgrads to write them an article for their blog about the experiences of a Philosophy graduate applying for work. This was a pleasant surprise as I have recently taken on to writing. In fact, this is the third article I have been asked to write this year. The first article was for the independent record label Imogen Records for their March newsletter. The second article I wrote was about my competition win back in April for the Northern Dance Association Magazine, the issue will be out soon.

Earlier this evening, I heard some lovely news that I had an interview for an internship which I am very excited about. I had never applied for an internship before, so this is all very new. It's on Friday so wish me luck! Before I pour too much cold water on my optimism, obviously to get to where I am, it's common for me to lose out at the interview stage- BUT this time I am going to the Career's Centre at Leeds University to get some good advice. Feeling good.

H

No comments:

Post a Comment