Welcome to my Blog about analysing the graduate job market in Leeds

I am a recent Philosophy Graduate discovering and analysing the current job market for Graduates in Leeds. My aim is to discover find the perfect method of attaining a Graduate job.

Tuesday 10 August 2010

One has to keep busy

My previous blog was an article I wrote for @Twitjobsgrad for their blog about the possible lack of knowledge of what a Philosophy graduate is: thoughtful reflective, thinks outside of the box and looks to different direction and an independent learner. Of course, all degree disciplines demand respect, but I think possibly equal respect.

Saying that, the more I look into the recruitment process I seem to find it isn't just about qualifications or personality. I think it's your level of experience. I recently lost out on an internship (won't say which one) to a marketing graduate for the reason that they had previous experience in marketing. Simples. Whether or not they actually had an marketing experience I am not to know, but it's the fact they have had the golden word: experience. I could never of offered that.

So, with my "transferable skills" (graduate recruitment agencies LOVE that word) I have looked to gaps and problems which have led me not to be chosen in my previous job interviews and applications.
1.) Applying for jobs that don't match my skills
2.) No previous experience
3.) Not very good at writing app forms/Cv's and interviews.

I have a feeling this isn't news, especially not to a career consultant. But to work that out for yourself and realise your gaps, is a step closer to improving with understanding.

So... Let me start with number 2. : I have applied for voluntary work and I've got my interview tomorrow. I shall be a tour guide around St.John's Church. I believe this will increase my communication skills and memory capacity (not something I can put on my CV, but I believe it is one of my weaknesses). And it will show I like to keep busy. Secondly, I have a week booked with Marsh Insurance Brokers to have a taster about the work an insurance broker does, considering this is something on the careers list. I have to make sure I really want this as I would have to go through long and expensive training. I also have a week booked with Dickinson Dees in their HR department looking at what human resources is about and the type of roles they have.

I have looked at HR because it seems there are quite a few jobs going in that sector and I'm not sure what it's about. I was told I should apply for the jobs that are most prominent and this one is it. I will try and see whether I can get a week with their solicitors but that really depends.

I have been busy planning and looking at my resources. I know I don't look like much on paper, but hopefully these weeks will add something to my CV's.

Let you know how it goes.
H

No comments:

Post a Comment