Welcome to my Blog about analysing the graduate job market in Leeds

I am a recent Philosophy Graduate discovering and analysing the current job market for Graduates in Leeds. My aim is to discover find the perfect method of attaining a Graduate job.

Sunday 21 November 2010

Okay...so I have got this far..but no one is noticing me?

If you have been able to find some kind of voluntary work then congratulations! As Tesco's says "every little helps".

It actually does help! Even the odd bit of ad-hoc work can show the ability to fit in a little extra work around your busy schedule. This ability shows excellent organisation skills and a team player. At this stage of the job-market-game, strong organisation and team player skills are essential as the jobs a graduate would primarily go into after University are within a team and with low responsibility.

In the last post, I discussed how a university student could get voluntary work within university societies. But, why bother with voluntary work? "What if I am in a position where I can get paid work within my chosen field, should I still bother?" Well my friend, you are one of a small percent who attain the chance to do so, so well done you!

As previously explained, short term placements and training in the right field for a graduate is extremely tough and can be just as competitive as a full time job. The competition is getting tougher by the year as more and more graduates pour out of university.

If you get a contract for a placement or training during uni, you are still competing against others for full time jobs at the end of your degree who might have a similar background as you, but with a bite. That bite could be a little bit of voluntary work or a project they have done in their spare time. It's unfortunately not enough these days to have one project under your belt.

Your CV needs to look so full of varied training, that the recruiter or future employer would be mad not to employ you.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I’m so late but am so happy that I just read this, I love what you said. The mafias and artificial influencers discourage those of us who are just starting off and really do want to grow organically.
    But perhaps neither method for maintaining momentum has been adopted as fiercely as an off-the-cuff remark made by hr/kissanime I see their pages and feel insignificant like I can’t reach that point by being me. I want to take the journey but never lose who I am! Thank you for the inspiration. I am so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great inspiring article.I am pretty much pleased with your good work.You put really very helpful information we are Trueclassics tips on 123movies gomovies pursue to everyone to make animation in free way with effects

    ReplyDelete