Welcome to my Blog about analysing the graduate job market in Leeds

I am a recent Philosophy Graduate discovering and analysing the current job market for Graduates in Leeds. My aim is to discover find the perfect method of attaining a Graduate job.

Monday 26 July 2010

A Graduate in the heart of Leeds

Ciao - as an Italian friend says to me on facebook.

As I am now equipped with broadband, blogging should come more frequently. I have been extremely busy with moving, job centres, interviews, CV writing, birthdays and money. When I last wrote I was waiting for my final marks and I received my 2,2. Congrats congrats! You have passed with the mark you believed you earned. Now, what to do with it? Well, as I have been discussing with GradatesYorkshire on twitter, not much. Seems three years and £18,000 later is all pretty pointless. Considering everyone is raving on about the education system, why does it not give us the boost in job applications we deserve? A Philosophy degree is pretty vague, as employers can't seem to figure out what it's about and where it would be useful. Maybe I should have done something like marketing, business or accounting...?

So while employers are trying to figure out what skills my degree ACTUALLY gives me, I am jobless and subsequently, incomeless. Therefore I have had to acquaint myself with the job centre. Now, while the people behind the desk seem to be pleasant and concerned, do not be fooled. They seem suspicious and any false move and you could be losing what little money you can gain. Funny thing is, once I'm working I will be losing the amount of my weekly allowance, per week for the rest of my tax paying life. So in order to gain something from the government, I figured gaining money from the system which will 'take take take' from me isn't so bad, considering how much I will 'give give give' back eventually.

All seems a little dismal at the moment, but I shall pick up the mood in my next post.

H

5 comments:

  1. I feel exactly the same and I am doing exactly the same. You end up feeling quite low when you tell someone you are claiming jobseeker's allowance though. What else can we do? :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I follow you on Twitter because I saw Graduates Yorkshire tweeting you! Thought I'd offer a piece of advice, you say employers are vague on what your degree involves but your CV needs to make it crystal clear for them. I'm a Psychology graduate and I've been offered a job in PR, even though they aren't related I made sure that all my skills from my degree were relevant for example, you must have gained good writing skills from your degree, so make sure employers know that! Good luck with everything, feel free to talk to me on twitter - @lauramarycoyne.

    Laura x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks both of you. After being promised when taking our A Levels that going to uni and getting a degree would secure a promising future, only to find that having a degree secures very little is a bit heartbreaking.

    That's interesting Laura, how did you manage to convince your employer that you had the skills? Or have you had previous experience in PR?

    Thanks,
    H x x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did have previous PR experience, but I just tried to identify the key skills needed in PR e.g. Writing skills, communication, research and team work and illustrated these skills through the work i did in my degree. Employers don't have a lot of time to work out exactly what your degree has helped you with so just try to make it really clear. I saw you're doing some work to gain experience which will also be great! Good luck in your interview on Friday too! Laura x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Laura for all your help!
    My interview went really well, however I unfortunately lost the internship to a marketing graduate, on the grounds they had previous experience and knowledge of marketing. I felt totally bummed considering it was a research internship.

    I am going to the Leeds University Careers Centre this week and I shall ask them whether my CV explains and links my degree to whatever chosen job I apply to. So I shall def take what you've said on board.

    Yep, getting some work experience. I know that if recruiters like people who are proactive and because I'm not working, I need to show I'm using and building on my skills. I know people who have done nothing, so it looks as though they have gaps on their CV's. When did you graduate?

    Thank you!
    H x x

    ReplyDelete